BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br2003
Ex-LMS 7P 4-6-0 Princess Coronation class No 46257 'City of
Salford' is seen standing at the East end of Platform 1 with an up express.
Built by Crewe works in May 1948, No 46257 was the last member of the class
which numbered fifty-eight in total and which was designed by Stanier. The last
two members of the class, No 6256 'Sir William Stanier' and No 46257 'City of
Salford', were modified by G Ivatt including roller bearings fitted to the main
driving wheels and a new trailing truck under the firebox. The shorter cabside
was the most obvious method of distinguishing the modified locomotives. In this
for No 46257 ran until it was withdrawn in September 1964 from Kingmoor shed in
Carlisle to be scrapped in December 1964 by Arnott & Young - West of
Scotland Shipbreaking Company in Troon.
This class of locomotives was designed in 1937 by William
Stanier and is considered by many as being his finest design. Originally for
publicity purposes the class had been constructed in streamlined condition with
some non-streamlined locomotives being built too. Surprisingly - as streamlined
locomotives were more expensive, more difficult to maintain and slower speed
restrictions meant any advantages of streamlining were lost - further
streamlined locomotives were still built throughout the Second World War until
October 1943 when No 6248 'City of Leeds' was the last of the Princess
Coronation streamlined locomotives to be built. From November 1944 when No 6249
'City of Sheffield' until May 1948 when No 46257 'City of Salford was built a
further nine locomotives were built all in non-streamlined condition.