BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br2002
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 Patriot class No 45543 'Home Guard' is seen
passing ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40129 between Navigation and Hill Street bridges
as it arrives from Wolverhampton with an up Euston service . Built at Crewe
works in March 1934 No 45543 was originally not a named member of the class.
However in recognition of their role and the renaming of the Local Defence
Volunteers as the Home Guard the LMS named No 45543 in July 1940
shortly before the Battle of Britain which it carried until it was withdrawn in
November 1962 from Carnforth shed to be scrapped in September 1963 by Crewe
works. Stanier 2-6-4T No 40129 was built at Derby works in September 1935 and
remained in service until October 1961 when it was withdrawn from Monument Lane
shed to be scrapped in July 1962 by J Cashmore of Great Bridge after being
stored on shed.