BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br1993
British Railways built 5MT 4-6-0 No 44659 prepares to depart
Platform 7 on 4 25pm relief service to Sheffield Midland on Saturday 20th
September 1958. Standing on the centre road is ex-LNER B1 4-6-0 No 61098
waiting to return on the balancing trip to Cleethorpes. Built at Crewe works in
May 1949 No 44659 was another British Railways built LMS design which was to
remain in service until June 1967 when it was withdrawn from Aintree shed in
Liverpool to be scrapped in December 1967 by G Cohen of Kettering. The 'B1'
class was designed by Thompson as the LNER's response to Stanier's Black 5 and
No 61098 was built by the North British Loco Company in November 1946 and it
was to remain in service until July 1965 when it was withdrawn from Immingham
shed to be scrapped in October 1965 by Drapers Ltd of Sculcoates near Hull.