BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br1832
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45505 'The Royal Ordnance Army Corps' is
seen standing at Platform 9 whilst waiting to take the up Pines Express forward
to Manchester on 1st March 1958. Locomotives were mainly rostered on an 'out
and back' basis which in this instance meant that No 45505 had brought a
Liverpool and Manchester service into New Street arriving at 12 53pm and would
then return with the Pines Express. As the full tender demonstrates this might
require the locomotive running light engine to Saltley to take on more coal.
This was another Patriot class locomotive that was a notional rebuild of a LNWR
Claughton locomotive being built at Crewe works in July 1932 and remained in
service during which time its original name 'Wemyss Bay was exchanged to
celebrate the feats of the Corps during the war. Many of Fowler's 4-6-0
locomotives were retired early in the 1960s an No 45505 was no exception being
withdrawn in June 1962 from Green Ayre shed in Lancaster to be scrapped after
being stored at Upperby shed in Carlisle in from December 1961 to be scrapped
in August 1962 by Crewe works.