BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br1826
Ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40125 and ex-LMS 4MT 2-6-4T No 42320
are seen standing at the East end of New Street station circa 1955. The Stanier
2-6-2T is standing on the down centre road between Platforms 3 and 3 with
coaching stock ready for positioning in order to form a local stopping service.
The Fowler 2-6-4T is standing at Platform 3 ready for the off to take forward a
New Street to Rugby local passenger service. Built at Derby works in September
1935 No 40125 was to remain in service until December 1959 when it was
withdrawn from Dallam shed in Warrington before being stored at Longsite shed
and finally scrapped in April 1962 at Crewe works. Fowler 2-6-4T No 42320 was
built at Derby works in April 1928 and was to remain in service until November
1962 when it was withdrawn from Kingmoor shed in Carlisle to be scrapped in
June 1963 at Crewe works.