LMS Route: Rugby to Tamworth
Tamworth Station: lnwr_tam3144
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 5XP Patriot Class No 45501 'St Dunstans' passes
through Tamworth on an up service. Built by Derby works in November 1930, No
45501 was the second member of the class to be built and remained in service
until August 1961 when it was withdrawn from 12B Upperby shed in Carlisle.
Whilst the first forty-two members of the class were notionally rebuilt from
Claughton class locomotives, only the first two incorporated any significant
parts whereas the other forty members had few if any parts. The most obvious
difference between the first two class members and the remaining members of the
class was their wheels as they were original Claughton class wheels with their
large axle boss' being very prominent. An explanation as to why the LMS
employed this accountancy 'trick' is given in the caption to image 'lnwr_tam3143'.