LMS Route: Rugby to Tamworth
Tamworth Station: lnwr_tam3141
Ex-LNWR 2-8-0 4-cylinder compound No 1017 passes through
Tamworth on an up freight service. The photograph shows the locomotive in its E
Class form having been built in September 1902 as a B Class , then rebuilt as
an E Class locomotive in January 1906, allocated the running number '9605' by
the LMS it was withdrawn in October 1927 without further rebuilding. The first
truck displays the lettering, LMS on it, the date of the photograph is
therefore clearly later than 1923.
Designed by FW Webb, they were a class of 0-8-0 steam
locomotives introduced in 1901 being a development of the Class 'A'
three-cylinder compound (although this letter classification was not introduced
until 1911) but being provided with a 4-cylinder compound arrangement. In total
there were 170 locomotives built at Crewe between 1901 and 1904 with 26 rebuilt
as Class 'E' locomotives between 1904 and 1908, 10 rebuilt a Class 'F'
locomotives between 1906 and 1908, 32 rebuilt as Class G locomotives between
1906 and 1917, 91 rebuilt as Class G1 locomotives between 1917 and 1927 and 11
locomotives being scrapped in original condition between 1921 and 1928.