GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
Handsworth & Smethwick: gwrhs2644
Official photograph taken in February 1933, showing the view
along the loading wharf which separated the mileage sidings on the left from
the original Goods yard on the higher ground. The building behind the lorry was
the main Goods Yard Office, while in the background are several stable-blocks
built alongside the Charles Street perimeter. The two storey stable-block
building has a covered ramp-way to provide more capacity on the upper floor.
There were also stable-blocks alongside the Downing Street perimeter of the
mileage sidings giving an indication of the number of horses that must have
been engaged in cartage traffic here. One of the entrances to Charles Street
with a single storey weighbridge office can be seen on the left.
The Handsworth and Smethwick area had a large number of
metalworking and manufacturing industries and the open wagons along the loading
wharf contain scrap metal from these processes, including; compressed bales of
stamping blanks in the LNER open wagon in the foreground and loose swarf from
milling, turning and drilling in the adjacent GWR open wagon. The lorry
belonging to Mason Bros, Coal Merchant and General Hauliers has the address 4
Charles Street, Handsworth B21, which indicates that they had their office
within the Goods Yard.