GWR Route: Alcester to Hatton Junction
GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line
Bearley Junction: gwrbj790
The Great Western Railway also owned the Stratford Canal.
This enabled them to devise an ingenious method of providing water for their
railway engines where the Alcester branch passed under the Edstone Aqueduct.
This photograph shows the boxed pipe from the aqueduct and the steps, which
allowed the fireman to operate the valve. Compare with gwrbj764 for the same view before the North
Warwickshire line was constructed. The wooden posted signal in the foreground
was installed when the North Warwickshire line was built in 1907.
The main line signal partially visible under the aqueduct
on the left had a sighting board to enable the signal arm to be seen more
clearly against the backdrop of the aqueduct steelwork. According to Stanley
Jenkins & Roger Carpenter in their book 'The Alcester Branch' the 31/2 mile
post on extreme left was erected by BR (W) in March 1951 when the line became a
long siding to Great Alne for crippled and stored wagons so the route mileage
needed amending to suit. 6th June 1953.