GWR Route: Hatton to Bearley and Alcester Branch
Bearley Station: gwrb780
GWR Collett 48xx class 0-4-2T No 4801 at Bearley on 16th
September 1937 with Alcester branch auto trailer No 76. This engine was built
at Swindon in 1932, renumbered 1401 in 1946 and withdrawn in November 1958. It
was used in the film The Titfield Thunderbolt. Alcester was served
by an Auto train, which shuttled up and down the Branch six times a day. Four
of these journeys terminated at Bearley and two at Stratford.
A single 70 Diagram T auto trailer (built 1911)
fulfilled the normal passenger accommodation requirements from the reopening of
the Branch in 1923, until final closure. Notice that electric lights had
replaced the oil lamps on the platforms. In the distance is the road stone
crushing plant, which was constructed in the yard in 1936, adjacent to the pair
of refuge sidings.