GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
Budbrook and Warwick Cold Store: gwrw2673
A low resolution version of the Signalling Diagram for
Warwick North Signal Box showing the track layout and signalling arrangement.
This Signal Box was built at the same time as the Warwick Cold Store reception
sidings as an emergency wartime measure in June 1942. This Signalling Diagram
has been reproduced courtesy of the Signalling Record Society (S.R.S.). Details
of how to purchase their full resolution content is available here.
Warwick North Signal Box controlled the access to the
sidings known as Warwick North Depot Sidings situated on the up
side of the line. From the Up Main line there was a facing connection leading
to two reception sidings, each capable of holding forty wagons, engine and
brake van, and a trailing connection leading to these two reception sidings and
the two internal Depot sidings. From the Down Main line there was a trailing
connection leading to the two reception sidings.
In Winter 1945, Warwick North Signal Box was open from 9:00
am to 5:00 pm on Weekdays and Saturdays, but in both the British Railways
Appendix to the Service Time Table issued in 1953 and the Birmingham Traffic
District Sectional Appendix to the Working Time Table issued in 1960, it
identifies that Traffic will be worked in and out of the Depot
specially, and Warwick North Signal Box will be opened specially, when
necessary, for that purpose. The Signal Box was closed when the northern
connections to the main lines and one reception loop siding were taken out of
use on 24th September 1961. It was replaced by 'Budbrook Ground Frame' which
controlled access from the Up Main line trailing connection, but this was taken
out of use when the final reception siding and rail connection to the Cold
Storage's sidings were completely severed on 1st September 1969.