GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line
Tyseley Shed: gwrt3012
Great Western Railway 0-6-0PT 8750 class pannier tank No
9635 and the carriage sidings shunter's truck form the backdrop for a group of
carriage sidings staff and the locomotive crew as they pose for this photograph
taken in May 1948.
Pannier tank No 9635 was built in January 1946 at Swindon
Works as part of lot 355. Designed for shunting and light freight duties, the
8750 class was a development of the 57xx class with an improved cab,
rectangular spectacles (front windows), plus sliding side shutters and hinged
doors to prevent draughts. All were fitted with Automatic Train Control (ATC).
The group 20, class PJ boiler operated at 200 lb and produced a tractive effort
at 85% of 22,515 lb - Power Group C. The maximum axle weight was 17 tons which
restricted the class to Main Lines and some Branch Lines Route Colour
Blue, but in 1950 this restriction was relaxed due to their negligible hammer
blow and the class was allowed to operate over Yellow Routes (Note the marking
on the cab side and for more information on the Great Western Railway
classification system see 'Engine Map'). The pannier tanks had a capacity of
1,200 gallons and the bunker could hold 3 tons, 6 cwt of coal. No 9635 was
initially allocated to Tyseley Shed (TYS) where it operated for roughly sixteen
years before moving to the South-west. In March 1962 No 9635 was known to be
allocated to Exeter Shed (83C) and in June 1964 the locomotive was withdrawn
from Taunton Shed (83B) to be scrapped.
Shunter's trucks were specially constructed to enable
Shunters to quickly and safely travel within marshalling yards. They had a full
length running-board and hand rail on each side to allow men to ride on them. A
large tool box was provided to store spare equipment. They were usually
permanently allocated to a specific location and this was painted on the side
of the tool box. Those allocated to carriage sidings would have vacuum brakes
to assist the locomotive in braking. The shunter's truck in the photograph has
angled back handrails and appears to have self-contained buffers with large
(one foot, six inch diameter) round heads, which indicates it was constructed
to diagram M5. A total of 45 diagram shunter's trucks were built to this
diagram at Swindon works between 1940 and nationalisation at the end of 1948.
They were fourteen feet long over the headstocks and had a relatively short,
seven foot wheelbase.
In the background some female carriage cleaners are leaning
out of the door drop-lights of a Collett main-line corridor coach. This is the
corridor side of what appears (from the window length) to be third class