LNER Route: Leicester to Marylebone
Staverton Road: gcrsr37
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 Stanier 'Black 5' No 45253 heads a down express
during the locomotive exchanges in June 1948. Although only six months after
nationalisation No 45253 carries the new BR mixed traffic livery, smokebox
number plate and the legend 'British Railways' on the tender. British Railways'
new CME, Robert Riddles had experienced the destructive influences of the
grouping of 123 railway companies into the big four companies (GWR, SR, LMS,
LNER) some 25 years earlier and had therefore arranged for a number of trials
of different locomotives across the country. Several classes of engines were
matched against each other both on their home territory as well on foreign
metals. Built by Armstrong Whitworth in September 1936 as LMS No 5253 it was
renumbered by British Railways by the simply device of adding 40000 to its LMS
number. The locomotive almost survived to the end of steam before being
withdrawn from Heaton Mersey (CLC) shed in April 1968.