LMS Route: Stratford Midland Junction - The Shakespeare
E&WJR and SMJ - Locomotives and Rolling Stock:
Ex-E&WJR 0-6-0 No 18 now carrying SMJ livery, stands
opposite Stratford upon Avon's goods yard. Still carrying its original
simplified E&W number plate on the cab side, the E&W plate on the
tender has been removed to be replaced by the letters SMJ painted on the sides.
E&WJR No 18 was the second of the last two locomotives ordered by the
E&WJR although they did not arrive until after the SMJ was formed. The two
locomotives were fitted from new with Isaacson's valves gear and initially were
extremely problematic and unable to pull the loads for which they were
designed. Following their withdrawal in April 1909 they were subject to
remedial work by the manufacturer's staff which led to their reintroduction
into service and following satisfactory performance savings of 15% were
achieved in coal usage. This locomotive and classmate No 18 were, according to
Dick Riley and Bill Simpson, 'the heaviest engines and were used mostly on
goods work at night between Broom and Olney'.