LMS Route: Stratford Midland Junction - The Shakespeare
E&WJR and SMJ - Locomotives and Rolling Stock:
Thought to be the first coach operated by the E&WJR, No
4, is now Director's Inspection Saloon No 01. The four-wheel coach was a former
LNWR 1st Class coach, No 273, originally built in 1850. It worked from Euston
to Birmingham for twenty years before being bought and worked on the E&WJR
for a further thirty years. As seen above, it was later used as the official
inspection saloon and painted in E&WJR colours, white above and red below.
The shape of the window mouldings bear witness to its antiquity, recalling the
time when stage-coach design was carried over into early railway carriage
construction. The coach is standing in front of Walker & Atkinson's grain
warehouse at Stratford upon Avon. The man standing beside it is Mr Ellin the
SMJ loco foreman. The vehicle was eventually removed from its chassis and used
as a waiting room on Stratford platform.