·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Tamworth

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Birmingham New Street

Washwood Heath Sidings: mrwhg642

An early and pre-grouping view of the interior of Washwood Heath Sidings No 1 Signal Box showing the frame housing the levers at the rear of the signal box

An early and pre-grouping view of the interior of Washwood Heath Sidings No 1 Signal Box showing the frame housing the levers at the rear of the signal box. This signal box was opened on 18th August 1895 and had replaced the earlier Church Road Crossing signal box which located nearby had controlled road traffic crossing the railway at ground level. The crossing at Church Road was established with the opening of the railway and had meant a signal box was in place before 1878 as a second signal box opened in that year which in turn was replaced by a third in 1889 and a fourth in 1894 before the road bridge was built in 1894. Bob Essery further records, 'on 24th April 1924 the box was reframed and it remained in service until 24th August 1969 when it became a shunting frame', which was in line with all other six signal boxes at the sidings.

back