GWR & MR Joint Route: Halesowen to Longbridge
Longbridge Station: mrlong1462
Great Western Railway 0-6-0PT 1813 class pannier No 1835 at
Longbridge station with the 17:09 GWR Workman's train for Old Hill in 1947.
Locomotive No 1835 was built as a 0-6-0 side tank in March 1883 at Swindon
Works as part of lot 60. As built these locomotives had domeless boilers
operating at 140 lbs with flush round top fireboxes. The locomotive was rebuilt
in November 1895 and given a domed boiler operating at 150 lbs and a saddle
tank with 1050 gallon capacity, but with the introduction of Belpaire fireboxes
the locomotive was converted into a Pannier tank in February 1920. The tank
capacity was increased to 1,200 gallons and the boiler pressure was increased
to 180 lbs giving a tractive effort at 85% of 19,120 lb (Power Class B).
The maximum axle weight was 15 tons, 15 cwt (Route colour Yellow). For
information on the Great Western Railways classification system see 'Engine Map'. Locomotive No 1883 was
allocated to Stourbridge Shed (STB) in September 1946 and withdrawn from there
in January 1949.