LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Nuneaton
Castle Bromwich Station: mrcb1030
The rear of Castle Bromwich's brick built two-storey station
building which fronted on to Chester Road seen in May 1910. In the centre of
the building, beneath the chimney, are three fire buckets one painted white. It
is thought that the latter was to hold water whilst the others contain sand.
There were two sidings in Castle Bromwich's goods yard, one seen on the right
of the building and another which diverges away from this siding to the left of
the building. Careful examination shows the down goods line behind the railings
protecting passengers on the down platform. At least two types of coal has been
deposited on the ground alongside the siding. Most likely for domestic use, the
coal would have been deposited on the ground in order to release the wagon.
Merchants would be charged extra for the use of a wagon over and above three
days and as this photograph was taken in the month of May the demand for coal
would clearly be much lower than in the Autumn and Winter months.