LMS Route: Rugby to Wolverhampton
A three-car Derby lightweight Diesel Multiple Unit stands at
Stechford station with the 13:38 pm Birmingham New Street to Rugby service on
16th August 1960. The British Rail Derby Lightweight diesel multiple units,
were the first such trains to be built en-masse for British Railways. British
Railways' built two hundred and seventeen such units at its Derby works over a
two year period commencing in 1954. The units were built in various formations,
including twelve power-twin two-car units, eighty-four power-trailer two-car
units, and four four-car units. Body framing was extruded and riveted together
whilst the panelling was welded into continuous sheets and riveted to the
frame. Luggage racks were formed out of light alloy. The floors had two layers
of flameproof hardboard, covered with linoleum. In order to reduce noise and
condensation, the inside structure and undersides were sprayed with asbestos.
Lighting was by 60 watt, 24 volt lamps charged by belt driven dynamos whilst
the heating was oil fired. The standard bogies were built using mild steel and
ran on Timken roller bearings.
This photograph is also available from the RCTS (Railway
Correspondence and Travel Society), copies can be ordered directly from them
using the link here.
Please quote MM00213C.