LMS Route: Rugby to Wolverhampton
Ex-LMS No 44897 stands on the down main as it shunts at
Stechford's down yard on 8th March 1962. Three shunters stand alongside the
train ready to start the process of stabling the wagons in their designated
siding. Built as LMS No 4897 by Crewe works in September 1945, No 44897 was
renumbered as such by British Railways in April 1949 which it carried until the
end of steam on British Railways being withdrawn in August 1968 from 10A
Carnforth to be scrapped by Cohen's of Kettering.
This photograph is also available from the RCTS (Railway
Correspondence and Travel Society), copies can be ordered directly from them
using the link here.
Please quote MM00159C.