Close up of image 'lnwrrm3319' showing the luggage weighing machine located adjacent to the entrance to the Booking Office. Next to the doorway to the Telegraph Office is a large cabinet fixed to the wall and which contained a telephone allowing platform staff to speak to the signalman controlling the line(s) at the platform as well as other staff via the internal exchange. Above the signs are posters with the script 'Salutaris' which is Latin and is thought to relate to 'well-being' and could either be religious or medical in its meaning. The newsstand has a large poster with the text 'Circulating Library'.
A circulating library (also known as lending libraries and rental libraries) were first and foremost a business. The intent was to profit from letting the public borrow books for a fee. By the 19th century, circulating libraries had become well-established in British culture. They provided consumers with reasonably cheap access to the must read novels of the day. During the 19th century, the two biggest circulating libraries in operation were Mudies Select Library (1842-1937) and WH Smith and Son (1860-1961). In the UK, the retail chain WH Smith ran a library scheme from 1860, which lasted until 1961, when the library was taken over by that of Boots the Chemist. This, founded in 1898 and at one time to be found in 450 branches, continued until the last 121 disappeared in 1966. The downfall of circulating libraries can be mainly attributed to two things: free public libraries and cheap books.