Close up of image 'lnwrrm3056' showing Thomas Hunters' repair workshops and the Leicester branches' Midland Railway Signal Box. This is thought to be the second Midland Railway Signal Box located at Rugby station and in this view the steps leading down are facing towards Rugby station.
Thomas Hunter Ltd were established in 1869 and were based in Mill Road, Rugby, located between Rugby station and the BTH works which later became the GEC and then Alstom. As with many of their contemporaries, Thomas Hunter operated in the construction, repair and hire of wagons, many of which would have been let to small collieries and coal merchants who could not afford to purchase their wagons outright. The company expanded to open repair works at Leamington Spa, at the GWR's station, and also had operations on the Midland Main Line at Barrow Upon Soar in Leicestershire.