Kenilworth Junction Signal Cabin, as ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'Super D'
No 9130 slows down to allow the fireman to collect the token circa 1936. The
London and North Western Railway 'G' Class along with modifications that made
them into 'G1', 'G2' and 'G2a' classes, was a class of 0-8-0 steam locomotives
designed for heavy freight work. The 'G' class were originally introduced in
1906 as modifications of Webb's 4-cylinder compound 'B' Class 0-8-0s by
removing their outside cylinders to give a simpler two cylinder layout. From
1912 superheating was introduced and most of the 'B' class were converted into
'G1' Class, not 'G' Class. The 'G2' class were new builds with increased boiler
pressure from 160psi to 175psi. Some 'G1s' were converted to 'G2a' classes
after their boiler pressure was increased. They were known to railway
enthusiasts as 'Super Ds' because a large number of the 'G1' class locomotives
were rebuilt from George Whale D class 0-8-0s with superheating, with super
short for superheated. To be strictly accurate the nickname should not have
been applied to all of the 'G' variants but as they looked the same the
nickname was applied to all variants.