·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Rugby to Wolverhampton

LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Lichfield

LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Soho and Perry Barr

Curzon Street Good Station: lnwrcs2162c

Part of an 1888 diagrammatic plan of Curzon Street Goods Station showing the sidings and warehouses

Part of an 1888 diagrammatic plan of Curzon Street Goods Station showing the sidings and warehouses. The main warehouse was effectively built by in-filling between the platforms of the original L & B station to form a large open deck with some of the sidings extending inside the building. The former GJR station's two platforms, which were staggered, formed the basis of the Copper and Spelter shed and the grain warehouse. Top right is Curzon Street's Excursion Station erected on the site of the former cattle siding and landing. Bottom right is Top Yard which during this period was very much centered on the distribution of potatoes and acted as Birmingham's de facto potato market until Smithfield Market was opened. Between 1870 and 1900 the number of potato merchants operating out of Curzon Street was as follows: 1870 - 6; 1880 - 10; 1890 - 7; and 1900 - 1; by 1910 it was recorded that there were no potato merchants left trading out of Curzon Street. Four merchants were present for most of this period. John Marshall was trading from 1870 to 1900, Messrs. Charles Finchett and Messrs. Benjamin Hartley both traded from 1870 to 1890 whilst William Taylor also traded from 1870 to 1890 although it was in partnership as Taylor and Wright in 1880 and 1890.

back