British Railways Non-ganwayed Motor Parcel Van M55998 approaches Platform One with two 4-wheel vans in tow circa 1961. The station was due to open on 1st May 1962 so the process of shuttling between the various platforms in order to move parcels was soon to be a thing of the past. The fact that two vans plus the parcel van was required is a good indicator of just how much parcels traffic was still being accommodated by rail up to the early 1960s. The Motor Parcel Van was one of only three such vehicles built by Cravens as a Class 129 to Diagram D531 in 1958 the others were M55997 and M55999.
This photograph is displayed courtesy of the RCTS (Railway Correspondence and Travel Society) and copies can be ordered directly from them using the link here. Please quote RE00050C.