LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington
Bedworth Station: lnwrb3268
LNWR Webb 0-8-0 'B' four-cylinder Compound No 2557 is seen
posed with shunters and other yard staff in Bedworth station's goods yard.
Designed by FW Webb, this was a class of 0-8-0 steam locomotives introduced by
the LNWR in 1901 and were a four-cylinder development of the Class 'A'
three-cylinder compound (although this letter classification was not
introduced until 1911). At first, the running board stopped either side of
the cylinder but was soon made continuous. In total there were one hundred and
seventy locomotives built at Crewe between 1901 and 1904 with: twenty-six being
rebuilt as Class 'E' locomotives between 1904 and 1908; ten rebuilt a Class 'F'
locomotives between 1906 and 1908; thirty-two rebuilt as Class G locomotives
between 1906 and 1917; ninety-one rebuilt as Class G1 locomotives between 1917
and 1927; and with eleven locomotives being scrapped in original condition
between 1921 and 1928. Built by Crewe works in August 1902, No 2557 was rebuilt
in July 1924 as G1 class and renumbered by the LMS as No 8913 which it retained
until August 1948 when it was withdrawn from 5C Stafford shed to be scrapped by
Crewe works the following month.