LMS Route: Rugby to Tamworth
Tamworth Station: lnwr_tam2351
An unknown Class 24 Diesel locomotive and ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0
No 45689 'Ajax' pass light engine through Tamworth sometime in the early 1960s.
Built as LMS No 5689 by Crewe works in February 1936, No 45689 remained in
service until December 1964 when it was withdrawn from 6G Llandudno Junction
shed. The British Railways Class 24 diesel locomotives, originally known as the
Sulzer Type 2, were built from 1958 to 1961. One hundred and fifty-one
locomotives were built at British Railway's works in Derby, Crewe and
Darlington, the first twenty of them as part of the British Rail 1955
Modernisation Plan. This class was used as the basis for the development of the
Class 25 locomotives. The final survivor, No 24081, was withdrawn from Crewe
depot in 1980.