·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

GWR Routes: Banbury to Wolverhampton

GWR Routes: North Warwickshire Line

Moor Street Station: gwrms1714

In July 1909 the Great Western Railway purchased from Birmingham Council the Old Public Offices for 15,250

In July 1909 the Great Western Railway purchased from Birmingham Council the Old Public Offices for £15,250. This parcel of land was adjacent to the new Moor Street passenger station and would allow a more extensive goods depot to be built in the city centre. Construction was delayed because the building was being used by the City Police, but a new Police Station was built in Digbeth in 1911. Prior to this the Great Western Railway Board gave approval for the new good depot in January 1910 at a budgeted cost of £8,800. While the original work was constructed in brickwork, the new shed made use of ferroconcrete. This photograph taken in May 1913 shows the pits excavated for the foundations of the concrete columns and in the foreground those for Shed A wagon hoist.

Robert Ferris

back