GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line
GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton
LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Bordesley Junction - Exchange Branch: gwrbj1336
View of Exchange Branch at Bordesley as a pair of three car
Derby Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs) descends to join the ex-GWR line with a
southbound service. In the opposite direction a freight service has just left
the ex-GWR Bordesley Yard in order to continue to Washwood Heath Sidings,
whilst on the former Midland Railway line from Washwood Heath to Camp Hill
another freight train traverses the ex-GWR main line to Snow Hill.
The DMU is fresh from Derby works as is evident by the fresh
white painted tyres and is therefore probably being delivered to the new Diesel
Motive Power Depot (MPD). This had been constructed following the demolition of
part of the Repair Shop at Tyseley shed. The Tyseley Diesel MPD opened on 1st
July 1958 following the introduction the previous year of these DMUs to operate
the British Railways (western region) suburban services into Birmingham. These
early DMUs were painted green with white cats whiskers on the
The curve connecting the former MR's Camp Hill to Saltley
line and the ex-GWR's Snow Hill line was doubled and resignalled in July 1941.
Prior to that date this Exchange Branch had been a single line worked by
Electric Key Token Instruments. The Token Instrument at the Great Western end
was housed in a lineside box named LMS Key Token Box and it is
believed to be the lineside box in this photograph.